Countries around the world, including Canada, are working to contain the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The following list of UBC and governmental resources related to COVID-19 for students, staff, faculty and community members was compiled by UBC, the MPPGA Program, and SPPGA Policy Practitioner Fellow, Andrea Reimer. It was last updated on April 22, 2020.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and UBC’s official response: covid19.ubc.ca
This website contains useful FAQs and resources for UBC faculty, staff and students. It’s being updated regularly following advice from provincial and federal health agencies.
For UBC Students: Please see resources below related to COVID-19:
April 22, 2020 Update: PM Trudeau announces $9B in new COVID-19 funding for students for May-August, 2020.
Eligible post-secondary students can receive $1,250/month from May to August. If students are disabled or taking care of someone else, they can receive $1,750/month.
UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to funding, assessments, dissertations, housing as well as questions with information specific to international students and newly admitted students
UBC Student Services
Vancouver Campus Student Residence recommends students to apply to summer housing as soon as possible if their contract ends on April 30th, 2020 and they plan to stay on campus and have no place to live or cannot go home due to the COVID-19 situation.
- Students Assistance Funds by Graduate Student Society (GSS) at UBC Vancouver
- Emergency Funding for Domestic BC Students
- Plain Language Guide on Applying for Covid-19 Funding
*Compiled by Jennifer Robson, Associate Professor of Political Management, Carleton University using public information. Any errors or omissions are unintended.
- UBC Enrolment Services – Students with financial needs can call (604) 822-9836 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Loans:
- BC Student Aid – Effective March 30, 2020, all British Columbia student loan borrowers will temporarily have their repayments suspended until September 30, 2020. During this time, no payment will be required, and interest that currently applies to the federal portion of student loans will not accrue. Repayment will be paused automatically, so borrowers do not need to apply to have their repayment suspended.
- Canada Student Loans – A moratorium on the repayment of Canada Student Loans – Effective March 30, we are placing a six-month interest-free moratorium on the repayment of Canada Student Loans for all student loan borrowers. No payment will be required and interest will not accrue during this time. Students do not need to apply for the repayment pause.
- UBC Tax Assistance Clinic for Students – Book your appointment today.
GENERAL COVID-19 COMMUNITY RESOURCES & RESPONSES
*This list was compiled by SPPGA Policy Practitioner Fellow, Andrea Reimer, and was lasted updated on April 1, 2020.
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information
- BC phone service for non-medical information about COVID-19: 1-888-COVID19 (1-888-268-4319) or via text message at 604-630-0300
- Check @BCGovNews for livestreams of all government briefings and announcements
- Centre for Disease Control: COVID-19
- COVID-19 BC Support App and Self-Assessment Tool
- COVID-19 Quick Sheet: Public Health Orders & Government Announcements by MLA Bowinn Ma
- Government of Canada: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Toll-free phone line to answer Canadian’s general questions about COVID-19: 1-833-784-4397
- The Government of Canada also provides a daily briefing at 8:15 PT.
- The Chief Medical Health Officer of Canada, Dr. Theresa Tam’s Twitter account: @CPHO_Canada