UBC’s Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs (MPPGA) program is a 20-month, professional, global public policy program.
The MPPGA is a highly challenging and rewarding graduate program that provides a path for high-performing professionals to enhance their careers or transition into senior management roles in international institutions, companies, non-governmental organizations and various levels of government in all parts of the world.
The MPPGA program provides policy makers and future leaders with multidisciplinary policy analysis and design skills and subject-specific expertise in development, sustainability and global governance.
The School of Public Policy and Global Affairs (SPPGA) is renowned for its research strengths in Asia Pacific and sustainability, so you will benefit from our faculty’s expertise and global connections.
You will gain meaningful, professional experience during your time in the program through paid Work Term opportunities, including the Co-op program, personalized support for your career planning, and professional skills training.
You will graduate ready to drive policy change in industry, government or non-profits anywhere in the world.
As a MPPGA student, you will study alongside leading academics and top students from across the globe at one of the top 40 research universities in the world.
UBC’s location in an Asia Pacific gateway city, its reputation as a sustainability pioneer, and the interdisciplinary expertise of its founding partners offer a unique perspective on global public policy that is unmatched anywhere else.
The School of Public Policy and Global Affairs at the University of British Columbia Vancouver is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people.
Our innovative program equips you with the analytical and technical skills you need to lead policy change in a rapidly transforming, globalized world.
- Apply multidisciplinary policy analysis and creative design skills to create, implement and evaluate public policy
- Articulate ethical guidelines in conducting policy analysis to acknowledge and respect cultural differences
- Assess alternatives and evaluate options in complex policy scenarios
- Develop effective communications at all levels of an organization
- Prioritize and rationalize resource allocation for innovative policy initiatives
- Collaborate with clients and stakeholders effectively in a policy studio and in situ—whether that’s a boardroom, a government office or the field
- Lead cross-functional teams in implementing boundary-crossing solutions
- New knowledge
- Unique insights into Asia Pacific policy issues and interactions between emerging Asia and developed countries
- A deeper understanding of policy challenges and solutions as they relate to sustainability, resources and energy
- A broad perspective of global development and social change
- Proficiency in global governance and security issues
- The ability to navigate domestic and global policy settings and interactions between the two
New Career Possibilities
The leadership skills you cultivate in the MPPGA program will help you succeed as a change maker in your organization and open up new career opportunities.
- Address complex challenges and drive positive global change as policy or market analysts, senior policy officers and foreign policy strategists
- Advance sustainability as renewable energy specialists in corporations and sustainability advisors in government
- Lead policy development and stakeholder engagement as directors of corporate policy
- Change how policy solutions are designed and communicated as directors of communication
Enhance Your Career as a Policy Professional
The MPPGA program is designed to provide you with a highly specialized skill set, combining data analysis with policy tools, economic understanding, communication skills, and creativity that is sought after by industry, non-governmental organizations, local and national governments, and intergovernmental agencies around the world.
MPPGA Alumni are working in an array of policy roles in diverse sectors around the world. These include:
- Policy Analyst, NATO Operations and Human Security, Global Affairs Canada
- Program Evaluation Analyst, Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- Intergovernmental Relations Advisor, Intergovernmental Relations Secretariat, Office of the Premier, B.C.
- Policy Analyst, Natural Resources Canada
- Chief Operating Officer at Tropical Landscapes Finance Facility (Indonesia)
- Senior Specialist, Sustainability and External Affairs, Newmont Goldcorp Corporation
- Senior Communications and Engagement Lead, TransLink
- Research Associate, National Institute for Environmental Studies (Japan)
- Senior Research Analyst, Latin America, Oliver Wyman, Mexico City
- Policy Analysis and Government Relations Specialist, Woodfibre LNG
- Director of Development and Communications, Westcoast Family Centres Society
- Associate at the UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (China)
- Protected Areas Individual Contractor, UN Biodiversity
- Policy Analyst and Researcher, Richmond Fire-Rescue Outreach Program
- Director of Research, Green Tech Asia
- Strategy, Policy and Economic Analysis Consultant
Work in areas such as:
- Policy strategy
- Policy design and analysis
- Strategic communications and digital diplomacy
- Project management
- Data analysis
- Evaluation and needs assessment
- Stakeholder engagement
- Procurement analysis
- Research services
- Government relations
- External relations
- Regulatory and environmental affairs
- Global security
- Technical writing
- Social service delivery
- Community health
- Immigration and refugee services
Earn a career as a/an:
- Policy Advisor
- Analyst – Policy, Data, Strategy, Research, and/or Procurement
- Project Manager
- Government Relations Director
- Director, Online Communications and Engagement
- Director, Government, Stakeholder, and/or External Relations
- Political Affairs Officer
Careers based on stream
- Energy Policy Analyst
- Environmental Economist
- Ethical Supply Chain Consultant
- Regulatory and Environmental Specialist
- Sustainability Analyst
- International Security Advisor
- Intelligence Collection Analyst
- Foreign Service Officer
- Humanitarian Aid Worker